The ancient Greek poet Homer mentioned Zakynthos in the Iliad and the Odyssey, stating that its first inhabitants were the son of King Dardanos of Arcadia, called Zakynthos, and his men. The Italians had a special love for this island, ever since the Venetians ruled it under the name of Zante in the 15th and 16th centuries. They also called it Fior di Levante, or the flower of the east.
An island full of contrasts, Zakynthos combines cosmopolitan life with its pristine beauty. The island will impress you to its shores and its rich historical and cultural tradition. It is a crossroad of peoples and cultures and home to famous and worthy men of letters and arts. Zakynthos also has a great environmental importance, as it is the island where the rare sea turtle caretta-caretta and the Mediterranean seals are finding the ideal environment for spawning.
- Explore traditional villages
- Visit Anafonitria’s monastery
- Explore by boat the Blue Cave
- Visit a local family farrm and taste local products and wine
- Explore Anafonitria’s monastery
- Visit with kayak boat Porto Vromi Caves and enjoy the crystal blue waters.
- Pass by theTraditional Harbor
- Swim in the emerald waters of Keri Caves
- Sail around the islands for turtle spotting
- Visit & swimm in shipwreck also known as Navagio
- Cruise to the emerald waters of iIonian sea
- Taste local food in a taverna
Get inspiration by viewing a collection of the most popular itineraries that include Corfu island in the itinerary.
On the turquoise waters of the Ionian sea, Zakynthos (or Zante) is a paradise on earth island.
Worldwide famous Navagio beach is located there and its glorified by innumerable travel guides! Breathtaking landscapes, exotic beaches with sugar-fine sand and turquoise waters and vibrant nightlife are the major reasons why the island is popular. But, Zakynthos is not only that!
You’ll also discover picturesque villages, beautiful natural landscapes and traditional monasteries. What’s more, the Zakynthos beaches are home to the endangered sea turtle species Caretta-Caretta, which every year hide their eggs in the fine white sand of Zakynthos beaches.
Things you must see while on Zakynthos: Visit the Navagio and Kalamaki beach, swim in Blue Caves, explore the Byzantine Museum and visit the church of Agios Dionisios.